Feb 17, 2020, 01:01 am

News:

Welcome to Edutainment Forum! Enjoy Your Stay!

Will earth ever stop spinning?

Started by Monkwithferrari, Jan 03, 2020, 07:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Monkwithferrari

I was reading news and came across an article that moon had twice stronger magnetic field than earth many years ago. 
From that article my mind came across a question, will ever earth stop spinning? If yes then how, if no then why?

Jigarmech

Quote from: Monkwithferrari on Jan 03, 2020, 07:37 amI was reading news and came across an article that moon had twice stronger magnetic field than earth many years ago.
From that article my mind came across a question, will ever earth stop spinning? If yes then how, if no then why?
The moon had stronger magnetic field when it was near to the earth billions of years ago. As time passed, distance increased which resulted into hardening of the core. 

As long as our core which has molten metal is moving with a speed, there's a magnetic field around a planet. If it stops, we are finished. The planet is changing its poles we are aware of that. To stop the molten metal moving, it should be a strong force against it. 
Maybe a meteor striking can make a difference, but it should have a greater diameter and impact velocity.
"Science can amuse and fascinate us all, but it is engineering that changes the world."
-- Isaac Asimov

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview